In the fight to relieve our migraine pain, many of us turn to natural remedies.
I know that I have tried my hand at a few to see if it works. Below is some research about essential oils and some ideas.
As always, remember to work with your doctor on anything you try! Even non medicines can cause bad reactions if it interferes with something else you are taking.
Why Essential Oils Instead of Medication?
There are many reasons why essential oils are a better alternative to migraine medications. Many medications have negative side effects and they can cause health problems if they are used long-term.
If you turn over the bottle and read the warning label on an over-the-counter medication, you will see fine print that states that the medication could be quite dangerous. But, many people ignore the warnings and use the medication anyway since they are desperate for relief from the pain.
On the other hand, essential oils are natural extracts from plants, and they have minimal side effects. You won’t see a big warning label on a bottle of essential oil, because they are very safe to use. Of course, it is important that you follow the instructions for each specific oil, and you can find those guidelines from the manufacturer.
Another benefit to using essential oils instead of medications is the fact that essential oils focus on the root problem, instead of simply hiding the symptoms. Migraine medications are usually focused only on reducing the pain, which only covers up the symptom. Taking pain medication for a migraine might help temporarily, but it is not a long-term solution.
Essential Oils for Immediate Migraine Relief
If you have a migraine, then it is best to reach for a bottle of essential oil as quickly as possible. Here are a few essential oils that can be used to alleviate migraine pain:
- Lavender is very relaxing and helps to reduce stress. If your migraines are related to tension and stress, then try using lavender to relax and reduce the pressure and tension in your head. I use lavender to help me fall asleep, since sleep is a big trigger for me.
- Peppermint has a sharp, refreshing scent and it can help to reduce the pain almost immediately. Another benefit of peppermint is that it can reduce nausea, which is a common symptom associated with migraines.
- Rosemary and Marjoram are two essential oils that improve blood flow by dilating the capillaries. Increasing blood flow in the head can help to reduce the pain and alleviate the symptoms.
Essential Oils to Prevent Migraines
There are a few essential oils that can be used in a preventative manner, in order to avoid the migraine from starting in the first place. Here are a few options to consider:
- Geranium is a good option if the migraine is related to hormones. If you are a woman and you find that you frequently get migraines during certain times of the month, then consider using geranium to help balance your hormones and prevent the migraines.
- Lemon helps to lift the mood, and it can be beneficial if your migraines are related to depression or anxiety. Using lemon regularly can help you to avoid those low moods that are caused by depression, which in turn prevents migraines.
How to Use Essential Oils
There are several ways these essential oils can be used, and you might try several different methods to find the option that works best for you. The most common method is to add a drop of essential oil to a carrier oil, such as coconut or almond oil, and then apply it directly to your forehead, temples, and the back of the neck. Make sure to avoid the eyes, because the oils might cause the eyes to burn. Apply every hour or two, as needed.
Another option is to enjoy the aromatic benefits. Simply open the lid and take in a deep breath, and the compounds from the essential oils can enter your body through the nasal passages.
My favorite way is adding some drops to a bath, or on my pillow at night (mainly lavender).
Make sure that you always have essential oils available, because they are most effective when they are used at the first signs of a migraine.
Do you use essential oils for migraine? Which ones and do they work?
Looking to get started? Amazon* has some great starter packs so you can experiment! Essential Oil- Beginners.